By Lorayne Mercado, Hungerford Properties
Andrea Renney is a planner and economist at Coriolis Consulting, a firm of development analysts, urban planners, land use consultants, and real estate advisors. With over 10 years of experience in the real estate and consulting industries, Andrea provides comprehensive advice on a range of projects for both public and private sector clients. Prior to her move to Vancouver in April 2016, she worked as a land economist with IBI Group in Toronto, Ontario. Working in another province provided her with a unique perspective on how different planning regulations and frameworks impact the development process. Prior to working with IBI Group, her role as an economic consultant at AECOM in Hong Kong exposed her to international development and master planning in a variety of contexts. Andrea is also a volunteer with the CREW Vancouver Marketing and Communications Committee. CREW Vancouver welcomes Andrea as one of our newest members and we’re excited for the breadth of experience that she brings and shares to the organization.
Q and A with Andrea Renney
Why did you decide to join CREW?
Having recently relocated to Vancouver from Toronto, CREW offered the chance to connect with other women in the industry. I was also interested in many of the events CREW hosted and wanted the opportunity to attend some of the educational seminars. I also enjoy the opportunity to mentor younger women in the industry and help inform their professional goals. I have had some incredible female mentors in my career, so it’s good to pay it forward.
How has CREW provided support with your professional goals?
CREW is an excellent forum to meet other professional women. It provides a chance to network and get a better sense of what is happening in the industry. The educational opportunities also provide a great opportunity to learn technical skills and meet professionals in different sectors of the industry.
What do you enjoy most about your work?
Every project is different so you never get bored! We get the chance to work with a variety of different clients and have developed a very comprehensive approach to planning problems.
What skills and attributes make a successful planner?
Planners are required to wear many hats as every planning decision is about balancing the needs of a variety of stakeholders. The problems are very complex, but very interesting. You must be flexible, analytical, empathetic and creative. There are many sides to every planning or development decision and it is important to think about the impacts to different groups, or what the longer term impacts of decisions might be. Cities change quickly and it is important to stay on your toes.
Why Join CREW Vancouver?
CREW Vancouver is the local Chapter of CREW Network, a premiere business networking organization dedicated to advancing the achievements of women in commercial real estate. Fast track your career and gain access to new business development opportunities by joining today. Membership benefits include:
- Ability to connect with over 9,000 commercial real estate professionals across North America through the CREW Network platform
- Profile coverage in the professional Membership Directory and access to CREWBiz, connecting you to business development opportunities with CREW members locally and beyond. The CREWBiz app is available for Apple iOS or Google Android.
- Preferred event pricing for members and access to high quality networking, education and leadership development events throughout the year, including access to member only events and site tours
- Access to cutting-edge Industry Research and resources provided by CREW Network
- Ability to participate in either CREW Vancouver or CREW Network mentoring programs as either a mentor or mentee
- Opportunity to participate in personal and professional growth through CREW Network Leadership Summits and Annual Conventions held across North America
- Professional exposure for members and their companies in our regular “Member Spotlight” pieces
For more details on joining CREW, please visit our Membership page here.
Join us for our upcoming Lunch Around Event!
For Members and guests seeking membership, we hope you will join us on Thursday, July 13th for our Lunch Around Event and hear first hand why you need to join CREW and what the organization has accomplished for its Members. There are limited spaces available for lunch, so register early!